Tomato soup is a classic comfort food that’s perfect for a cozy night in or a quick lunch. In Allorecipes, we’ll go over how to make a delicious and creamy tomato soup recipe that’s easy to make and packed with flavor.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the canned tomatoes (including the juice) and chicken or vegetable broth to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from heat and let it cool for a few minutes. Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and add the heavy cream, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir well.
- Heat the soup over low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings, such as croutons, fresh herbs, or a drizzle of olive oil.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender or regular blender, you can use a potato masher to mash the tomatoes until smooth.
- You can use canned diced tomatoes instead of whole peeled tomatoes for a chunkier soup.
- For a vegan version, use coconut milk instead of heavy cream.
- Add some fresh basil or oregano for an extra burst of flavor.
- Leftover soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
In conclusion, tomato soup is a comforting and delicious dish that’s perfect for any occasion. With this recipe, you’ll be able to make a creamy and flavorful tomato soup that will warm you up on a chilly day. So why not cozy up with a bowl of homemade tomato soup?