- 8 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups salted butter (room temperature)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar (for rolling out dough)
- Confectioners’ sugar (for rolling out dough)
- 8 to 10 ounces cake and pastry filling (raspberry, apricot, prune, etc.)
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
Gather the ingredients.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with butter until light and fluffy.
Add the flour, 1 cup at a time, and mix well.
Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Heat oven to 350 F. Roll out dough to a 12 x 18-inch rectangle—1/4-inch thick—on a silicone mat or a surface that has been dusted with equal parts confectioners’ and granulated sugars (not flour), because the granulated sugar will act as ball bearings and help keep the dough from sticking.
Cut into 2-inch squares. Place 1/2 to 1 teaspoon filling on center of each square. Brush a tiny bit of beaten egg white on one corner and press the opposite corner on it, pressing the dough together lightly to seal.
Using a spatula, transfer the filled cookies to a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes (longer if baking from frozen) or until corners start to brown.
Using a spatula, remove cookies from the baking sheet and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before dusting with confectioners’ sugar. Serve and enjoy!